Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Hodge Podge Ramblings



Well it is time for the weekly Hodge Podge brought to us by the lovely Joyce at 
From This Side of the Pond.  I am grateful at the material she provides week after week to get my brain going in a new direction.  Hop on over to her blog & join in if you have not already done so and I hope to see you back here soon!



1. How often do you check the weather? How do you check the weather?


Well I think usually I just look out the window in the mornings & see what it looks like and go from there.  Here in England though, the weather is a bit fickle so it may look sunny and by the time you get dressed, downstairs and ready to walk out the door the rain has started.  You quickly learn a few things: 1) dress in layers, 2) be ready for anything & 3) if you are waiting for great weather to go do something you might never leave your house.
Having said all that, we have been having buckets of rain.  (Supposedly more rain than they have had in like a 100 yrs in June - yay)  So I have been checking the weather on yahoo each day to see if it says anything besides rain for days on end.  The sun is currently out and the ground is dry which is amazing so I am going to run quickly through this so I can drag the kids out for a walk.  




2. Since this is Volume 84 of the Wednesday Hodgepodge, and since I got married in 1984, and since I'm attending a wedding this weekend, it only seems right to post something related here.

"Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance. If the dispositions of the parties are ever so well known to each other or ever so similar beforehand, it does not advance their felicity in the least. They always continue to grow sufficiently unlike afterwards to have their share of vexation; and it is better to know as little as possible of the defects of the person with whom you are to pass your life." Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Agree or Disagree? Why?

I think I disagree.  I don't think happiness is a matter of chance.  I think so much of happiness comes from what you make.  You can't choose what happens all the time in your life but you can choose how you respond.  I try to choose to be happy no matter what & when I am living that way (which is not always easy) then I am happier, therefore everyone around me is as well.

I also don't agree with, " it is better to know as little as possible of the defects of the person with whom you are to pass your life."   
I think that yes there are going to be things about the other person maybe you didn't know or things that annoy you that if you love the person enough you just deal with.  But, better to know as much as you can and have important conversations about things prior to becoming super involved or married.   Some things people can overcome and some things you just can't.  Better to know beforehand.

3. Do you like to dance? Have you ever taken dance lessons?

I do love to dance.  The boys & I put on music all the time and dance around the living room.  I think I am pretty good but the reality is probably more like Elaine from Seinfield.  I am sure I took some type of dance classes when I was really small but where I grew up there where not a lot of options.  


4. Fresh from the oven peach pie or homemade peach ice cream. Pick one.

Peach pie.  Yummo!!

5. Should people accept unfairness and learn to make the best of it?

Maybe my answer is based on the fact that my three year old is constantly whining, "that's not fair" like he knows what he is talking about when in most cases he does not.
I think people need to learn the difference maybe between unfair and unjust.  Life sadly is not fair & you do have to make the best of it.   Sometimes though something happens that is unjust and you do need to take a stand.  One thing I notice with my boys is they think they all need the same thing.  If one gets invited to a party they all want to go, if one goes with their Dad to the store & gets a treat they all want one.  Well, it is okay for your brother to go to a party by himself.  Sometimes you will by yourself.  You chose not to go with your Dad and so maybe you can go next time and get a treat.  I try to teach them you don't need all the same things & that is okay.  It does not make it "unfair" just different.  I also want them to learn the difference between them whining about something that seems unfair or something that truly is not fair and is possibly unjust.

6. The top five all time summer blockbuster movies (released between May and August and grossing at least 100 million dollars) are Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars (the original), Ghostbusters, and E.T. Which one's your favorite?

Ghostbusters.  I think it is my sense of humor but some of the lines just crack me up.  Plus I remember it the best.  

7. If given the chance, would you like to visit the moon?

Not sure on that one.  I would love to say that I would be super adventurous and go but I think I would sit back and wait for a few thousand people to check out first and then go :)  Maybe :)  Of course if my husband wanted to go he might talk me into it like he did that ridiculous ride on top of the Stratosphere in Vegas.    That was a mistake I will not repeat.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Well I have started the new blog & my goal is to post 5 times a week.  If you followed my other blog I hope you will hop over here & start to follow this one because Rudd Family Circus is about to go private.  It will become a place where our family back home will go to look at pictures of our kids not read my crazy thoughts.  I nearly went with my husband's suggestions of "Krista's Crazy Koolaide - Drink It" which I really liked but opted for Mindless Ramblings instead.  I often feel like I am rambling on here but I am okay with that.  If I am writing I am happy even if it makes no sense to anyone but me at times :)

Happy week and do come back again :)

7 comments:

  1. ahh, English weather. I used to say it was the only place I ever lived where I could be in the pouring down rain yet still need to put on my sunglasses.

    ha-I like the koolaid line : ) This is good too though! I've put you in my reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely will follow! Especially since 2 of your answers were exactly like mine! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. We would love to have some of your buckets of rain over here in Indiana. We are in a serious drought! I just wonder about these crazy weather patterns.
    Enjoyed your answers today. Have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The difference between unfair and unjust--so true!

    I have to laugh at the video of Elaine dancing. I think I look like that too!

    Btw, I like your husband's suggestion for your new blog. :) Definitely not run of the mill!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're the best. I agree with so many of these, and I think your parenting on unfair vs. unjust is very needed (and often overlooked) these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and my friend, Mary, used the same dance video to answer that question! GMTA!! Loved your answer to the fair/unfair question. Good thoughts, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the "Elaine" dance, one of my favorites :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for dropping by!